If the thought of city driving fills you with dread, worry no more because our top nervous driver tips will soon have you zipping around town like a pro!
Confident driving is a matter of good technique, relaxation and planning – all skills that you can learn over time, so buckle up and get ready for the new you.
Advanced lessons for the nervous driver
Passing your driving test is a big deal, but what happens next? Often the shock of transitioning from driving your instructor’s brand new car to the old banger that may well be your first car is likely to lead to a loss of faith in your skills. Some people take to it quickly, but others feel like they’ve been abandoned and left to fend for themselves on the roads. If this is you, we recommend digging deep and investing in some advanced driving lessons.
Advanced lessons will teach you how to drive on the motorway, where to position yourself on the road, how to read other motorists intentions, how to drive in traffic, how to park more effectively, etc. In fact, they’re a great idea for all drivers!
Driving in a big city like Leeds can be daunting, but these nervous driver tips will help you to navigate it without too much stress:
- Invest in a top-quality satnav with a big screen – and keep it up to date.
- Plan your route as much as possible, but be prepared to get a bit lost (here’s where the satnav saves you!).
- Practice by driving in towns during quieter periods, before moving on to busier times. Once you feel comfortable with this, follow the same process in the city.
- Take an experienced (but calm) driver with you who can be another pair of eyes… or just moral support.
- Spend as much time as possible in your car!
- Familiarity breeds confidence, so find excuses to get behind the wheel as often as you can – even if that means popping to the shops and back instead of walking.
- Some people find hypnotherapy helpful for overcoming the fear of driving.
- Keep your car in good condition – a well serviced and conditioned car with clean windows and lights will be much easier to drive and will feel safer too.
- Keep the interior clean – mess just adds further distractions that might put you off the road.
Follow our nervous driver tips and you’ll soon be as comfortable behind the wheel as Lewis Hamilton (but hopefully not as fast!). In the meantime, you can avoid the inner city loop road in Leeds by parking with us at Trafalgar Street car park, where we offer great access to the city centre without the stress of the busiest roads.